Forum Posting Techniques to Help You Promote Your Blog
You might get the impression that the Mac is the forgotten stepchild of the Internet marketing industry. But did you know that some of the top names in Internet Marketing use Macs? Get a FREE 75-page ebook that covers everything you need to know about running your Internet business using a Mac, iPhone and iPad here.
A blog can be a great start to your writing career. It can allow you to express yourself and provide you with an outlet for releasing stress. It can allow you to share your experiences with friends, family or the whole world. You can even use your blog to sell things and make money.
There are many ways to do this: you can get commissions through paid advertising such as through an affiliate marketing network that will pay you for each click that visitors make to your ads, or you can blog on a freelance basis and get paid for each entry you write.
The most challenging part of blog writing is not the writing itself but the promoting of it to the rest of the world. The reason is competition. The World Wide Web is already swarming with blogs — blogs about love, relationships, gadgets, politics, humor and so on.
No matter the subject, you will need to have a lot of people visiting your blog every day. This can be a daunting task as you will need to stand out from the millions of other blogs online. You’ll also need to sustain your traffic by continually adding to your content, keeping it useful and fresh and not flagging in your marketing efforts.
What can you do to enhance the traffic of your blog and attract readers? There are many promotional techniques, and one of them is using forums to promote your blog.
By participating in the discussion on the forums, a diversity of people will be alerted to the existence of your blog, which means more people will access your blog and maybe even link to it on their own websites.
Forums are helpful because they are interactive. Forum members may communicate which blogs they find helpful or entertaining to each other. It’s just another way of boosting your blog’s popularity.
Here are a few tips to follow when posting to the forums.
- Always pick a forum that is related to your blog. It may seem like common sense, but many bloggers make the mistake of spamming blogs in an effort to spread news of their blogs faster. This will only alienate your potential market and make you appear desperate.
- Avoid text lingo and watch your spelling. You may think your target audience is young and uninterested in such things, but if you cannot spell or write using proper grammar, how will people trust what you have to say in your blog or see you as a credible source of quality information?
- A voice dictation program like Dragon Dictate for Mac or Dragon NaturallySpeaking for the PC can be enormously helpful with this, and it works with any other software, such as a web browser. Rather than having to pound out responses l-e-t-t-e-r b-y l-e-t-t-e-r, you can simply talk, as if chatting with a friend, and your words will be automatically converted into text. (Voice dictation will not make spelling errors but it will make homonym errors, so you should proofread your posts carefully.)
- Most of all, help people. You can put your blog address in your signature, but your primary focus should be on helping others to solve their problems. If you show that you are interested in the well-being of others, they will be more interested in you and what you have to say.
- Don’t be heavy-handed about promoting yourself in your signature. read the forum rules before you attempt to link to your blog. Some forums will allow outward links and others won’t and some may allow links only after you have proven that you are a helpful member of the community.